10-shaft structure ideas

Home Forums Loom and Part Exchange 10-shaft structure ideas

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Phillenore 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Author

Phillenore
    Participant

I’ve been trying to decide why Jim Ahrens designed a 10-shaft loom; 8-shaft structures plus two shafts for plain weaver perhaps. I’ve found a few 10-shaft weave structures. I’m wondering what other people are weaving on this loom.

Vera Totos
    Keymaster

10 shafts are great for weaving 8-shaft patterns and a plain weave selvedge or a plain weave block to separate pattern blocks.

Also, excellent for 2-block designs in 5-shaft satin.

I love weaving on a 10-shaft loom, most recently I wove a series of satin damask scarves. I used 2 blocks, each using 5 shafts. When I wove off the first warp in silver grey, I decided to tie on a second warp in the same design, this time in black. That one is still on the loom, but I’ll have photos soon.

Phillenore
      Participant

It’s nice to see that you’ve joined the discussion, Vera! Silence has reigned for too long on this site. Thanks for the ideas. When I asked Peggy why Jim designed a loom with 10 shafts but only 10 treadles and she observed it was for exactly what you said — for weaving plain weave along with other patterns.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.